Everyone wishes to have a dark eyebrow along with a proper shape for which most of the people use an eyebrow pencil. Nowadays, people are using mascara on the eyebrows to set them right and comb them in a way while enhancing their color and thickness.
The question that arises is- ”
Can we apply mascara on eyebrows?
Yes, you can use mascara on your eyebrows. Mascara is not bad on the eyebrows provided it is applied in the right amount and correct manner.
What is mascara?
A mascara is used to make the eyelashes look thicker, longer, and darker. However, it can also be applied on the eyebrows to give them a clean, thicker, and voluminous look.
They are of different types such as waterproof mascara, oil-based mascara, voluminous mascara, lash lengthening mascara, etc.
How is mascara used?
A mascara is applied with the help of a brush that comes along with a tube-like container containing the mascara.
The brush is used in a downward to upward motion on the eyelashes and from the nose towards the ears on the eyebrows.
How to apply mascara on the eyebrows?
- Start by moisturizing the eyebrows with a lotion or an oil.
- Make sure that the brush or the wand is clean.
- Dip the brush in the mascara and squeeze to remove extra amounts.
- Start by applying the mascara on the eyebrows starting from the point corresponding to the inner corner of the eyes with light and small strokes.
- Use small strokes while extending the mascara along the length of the eyebrows upto the point corresponding to the outer corner of the eyes.
- Do not over apply the mascara at any point on your eyebrows.
- Avoid over-smudging of the mascara. It would give an overcrowded look to the eyebrows that do not look good.
- You may apply thick coats or smudge the mascara on the tail ends.
- Make sure that you do not draw any lines while applying the mascara.
- Use wipes or makeup remover to remove the extra strokes out of the area of eyebrows.
- Remember to remove the mascara off your eyebrows once the purpose is accomplished. You can do so by using a makeup remover or Vaseline.
Disadvantages of using mascara on the eyebrows
Dryness of the Hair of eyebrows
Mascara tends to soak moisture from the hair. This is because of the heavy coats that are applied on the eyebrows that leaves the hair follicles and the skin dry.
It is therefore advised to use a moisturizer that can hydrate your skin well before you apply mascara.
Irritation in the area of eyebrows
The ingredients used in mascara are not very good for the skin. It may react with the skin and cause irritation which causes redness and itchiness.
Therefore, one must be careful while choosing a mascara and make sure that it does not have any ingredients that are harmful or not suitable for the skin.
Weakening of the hair follicles
Mascara often leads to weakening of the hair follicles if applied in high amounts. Just a single swipe of mascara is enough on the eyebrows to give it the required thickness and color.
Over-applying the mascara tends to absorb more moisture from the skin, leaving it dehydrated. This weakens the hair follicles and they may fall off in major cases.
Clogging of pores if applied for a longer time
It is never advised to use mascara regularly or for a longer time. Mascara must be completely removed after the purpose is fulfilled. The ingredients in mascara are made of chemicals that stick themselves to the base of hair follicles.
They act as magnets to attract oil and dirt from the surroundings that clogs them. The clogging of pores leads to dehydration and poor aeration of the skin.
Mascaras that can be used on eyebrows
The following mascaras are the best in terms of using on the eyebrows. You can choose any from the following-
- Best Mascara for Eyebrows
- CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Building Primer Plus Length & Definition Mascara
- Revlon ColorStay Mascara
- L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Lash Primer and Definer
A mascara is not bad for the eyebrows. It just depends on the product we are using and how we are using it. It is very important to have a note of which mascara to choose and apply it only after preparing the skin and the eyebrows well.