Each one of us has probably thought of using lipstick as an eyeshadow at some point in our life. We might not be wanting to spend much on an eyeshadow palette or running late just to grab that lipstick to put on our eyelids to give it a color.
A question that often gets asked is-
Can lipstick be used as an eyeshadow? Is it safe?
Yes, lipstick can be used as an eyeshadow provided we know which one to choose and how to apply it. Talking about safety, lipstick isn’t as good to use on eyelids as is eyeshadow. This is because lipsticks are tested for use only on the lips and not for the use on eyes. So, the consequences or reactions remain unknown.
Why do we use eyeshadow?
An eyeshadow is applied to the eyelids to give it a color so that it looks attractive. Eyeshadow is often worn with other eye makeup products such as mascara, eyeliner, etc. It is also applied under the eyes and on the brow line bones.
It gives depth to the eyes, enhances their appearance, intensifies them, makes them appear larger, and attracts attention towards its beautification.
The commonly used eyeshadow comes in powder form but the other ones in the market such as cream, pencil, lipstick, etc are also in use.
Why should one avoid using lipstick as an eyeshadow?
Lipstick steps into the market only after it is only tested by certified authorities. Since it is a product to be applied only on lips, it’s testing as an eyeshadow or as a blush is not done. So the results of using lipstick as an eyeshadow remain unknown.
We don’t know what side effects can have or in what way it can damage the skin. Some people use it and feel comfortable after its use but on the other hand, some people report issues of darkness, blemishes, and wrinkles.
Also if lipstick is used in a long run on you to expiry it must not be used on the delicate skin on the eyes. The lipstick contains some substances which are known to be carcinogens or bad for the health of the skin.
The most common ingredient is carmine which is an active stainer that stains the skin.
It is also known to cause allergic reactions which degrade the quality of the skin and may require surgery in some cases.
Which lipsticks can be used as an eyeshadow?
One must not use just any lipstick available in the market as an eyeshadow. One needs to be concerned about its ingredients and the type of lipstick it is.
Here is a list of some of the lipsticks that can be used as an eyeshadow.
- Sisley Phyto Lip Twist
- Glossier Generation G
- Burt’s Bees Liquid Lipstick
- Burberry Liquid Lip Velvet
- Pur Cosmetics Matte Liquid Lipstick
- Nyx Soft Matte Lip Cream
- MAC Liptensity Lipstick
- Fenty Beauty Matte Lipstick
Different types of lipsticks that can be used as eyeshadow
There has been quite a lot of confusion among the people as to which lipstick to use as an eyeshadow among the liquid, creamy, and matte.
The liquid lipsticks are the easiest to apply on the eyelids because of their fluid nature. It drools and spreads well over the eyelids, thus making it a quick lipstick eyeshadow.
The disadvantage of using liquid lipstick as an eyeshadow is that it dries quickly and does not give a smooth finish. Liquid lipstick isn’t therefore advised to be used as an eyeshadow.
Matte lipsticks appear somewhat hard and low in moisture content. These are difficult to apply on the eyelids and tend to dry up quickly. Matte lipsticks are waterproof, do not fade with time, and are difficult to remove too.
But they often give a wrinkled appearance to the eyelids and do not give an even makeup look. Matte lipsticks should not be used at any cost as an eyeshadow.
Creamy lipsticks are the best to use as an eyeshadow. They are moist and water-based which quickly blend into the skin and give it a complete look.
Also, they prevent the skin under the makeup from getting dry and keep it hydrated.
How to apply lipstick as an eyeshadow?
Lipsticks can be used as an eyeshadow on the eyes but one should be aware of the proper steps to apply it. Show the procedure to apply lipstick as eyeshadow is given below-
- Do not choose matte textured lipsticks as they tend to dry up quickly and will give a wrinkled appearance to the eyelids. It will also not bind the skin well and not give an even look.
- Choose a color of your choice with a creamy texture that is most enough to blend with their skin and hydrate it as well.
- Start by moisturizing your skin with the help of a lightweight moisturizer followed by the application of a primer on the eyelids.
- The primer used should be gel-based with a Matte finish.
- Your base for eye makeup is ready. Now wash your hands and clean them thoroughly.
- Take a small amount of lipstick on your fingertip. Apply it on the eyelids particularly with circular motions.
- Blend Lipstick with your eyelids with the help of an eyeshadow brush.
- Use the color of lipstick applied on your lips as one of the colors on the eyelids if you wish to blend your eyeshadow in two or more colors
- Your lipstick eyeshadow look will be ready. Remember to remove the excess of the color with the help of a cotton dab.
Here is a video which shows what else you can use lipstick for.
The lipsticks aren’t much advised to use as an eyeshadow but one can use them by following some steps such as moisturizing the skin well and choosing the right type of lipstick. One should be aware of the expiry date and manufacturing date of the products before we use them.